Manchester United are about to reignite their interest in Ajax attacker Antony, according to Sky Sports reporter Dharmesh Sheth.
United manager Erik ten Hag spent two years working with Antony at Ajax, helping him develop into one of the most exciting young wingers in the world.
Ten Hag reportedly made the Brazil international one of his priority targets at the start of the transfer window but United seemingly cooled their interest in him after being informed of Ajax’s €80million valuation.
Antony has since had a strong start to the season with Ajax, showing Ten Hag what he was missing with two goals and two assists in three appearances in all competitions.
The 22-year-old recently produced a dazzling display in a 6-1 win over Groningen and was asked about his future after the full-time whistle.
“No idea,” he told NOS when asked if Ten Hag will call him. “He has to discuss this with my agents, I am focused on here. What will come will come, we will see. At the moment I feel good here.”
He added: “Like I said, I feel good here. I love this country. I give everything for this club, every minute, every second. And when I don’t play I like to enjoy the beach and city. I am loving this city and this club.”
United have since been linked with PSV Eindhoven’s Cody Gakpo and Chelsea’s Hakim Ziyech as they look for an alternative to Antony.
But Ten Hag’s side have not given up hope of signing the Ajax winger before the end of the transfer window and Sheth has provided a big update.
“I’ve been told that Machester United are back in for the Ajax forward Antony,” the journalist said on Sky Sports News.
“This is a name that was emerging right at the beginning of the transfer window and it’s thought that a massive offer will be presented to Ajax at some point during this week.
“We mentioned it before, United tried to sign him earlier in the window but there was a big gap between what Manchester United were prepared to pay and what Ajax wanted for Antony.
“I think his price might have gone up a little bit throughout the transfer window simply because it was Manchester United trying to chase Ajax.”
🗣️ “A massive offer will be presented to Ajax at some point this week”
Manchester United remain interested in Ajax forward Antony with a new bid expected in the coming days 🔴 pic.twitter.com/ZeMTgHNWL2
— Sky Sports News (@SkySportsNews) August 17, 2022
More Manchester United
Revisiting Ralf Rangnick’s 3 Man Utd transfer targets from January
Seven insanely talented teenagers that could save Man Utd’s future
Leave a Comment