Connect with us

Politics

Market Fire: VP Shettima Leads Federal Government Delegation to Kano to Sympathise with Victims

Published

on

President Bola Tinubu has dispatched Vice President Kashim Shettima to lead a high-powered federal government delegation to Kano following the devastating Singer Market fire that destroyed goods worth billions of naira.

According to presidential spokesman Bayo Onanuga, the delegation will convey Tinubu’s condolences to affected traders and pledge financial assistance to aid victims and support Kano State in facilitating the market’s quick reopening.

The fire, which started Saturday evening and continued into Sunday, marks the second incident at Nigeria’s largest food market in less than two weeks. Delegation members include Senate Deputy President Barau Jibrin, Speaker Tajudeen Abbas, and NEMA Director-General Zubaida Umar. Tinubu has ordered a comprehensive investigation into recurrent market fires.

Key Points:

The high-level delegation signals federal concern and brings immediate relief to devastated traders.
Financial assistance will help cushion losses and accelerate market recovery for affected businesses.
Victims gain hope of support, while the government demonstrates responsiveness to the disaster.
This reflects recognition of the market’s economic importance to northern Nigeria’s food supply chain.
The timing, with a second fire in weeks, underscores urgency for preventive measures.

The delegation’s visit aims to provide both emotional and financial relief, as investigations seek to prevent future tragedies at the strategic market.

Sources: Leadership, Bayo Onanuga/Statement

Continue Reading

Politics

Reps, Senate to reconvene plenary session Tuesday

Published

on

The National Assembly has announced that both the Senate and the House of Representatives will reconvene plenary sessions on Tuesday, February 17, 2026.

The announcement was made by the Clerk to the National Assembly, Mr. Kamoru Ogunlana, on Sunday.

The statement urged lawmakers to take note and adjust their schedules to enable attendance, as crucial decisions are expected to be taken during the sessions.

“I am directed to inform all Distinguished Senators and Honourable Members of the National Assembly that the Senate and House of Representatives shall reconvene Plenary session at 11:00am on Tuesday, 17th February 2026 respectively.

“Consequently, all Distinguished Senators and Honourable Members are kindly requested to take note and reschedule their engagements accordingly to enable them attend the session, as very crucial decisions shall be taken by each Chamber during the session,” the statement read.

The National Assembly did not disclose the specific matters to be deliberated.

Lawmakers had earlier suspended plenary to allow more time for the defence of the 2026 budget proposals by Ministries, Departments, and Agencies (MDAs).

PUNCH Online had earlier reported that the House of Representatives will reconvene on Tuesday for an emergency sitting to consider matters arising from the Electoral Act Amendment Bill, following the release of the 2027 general election timetable by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

The decision was conveyed to lawmakers in an internal memorandum issued by the Office of the Speaker, according to a statement released on Friday night by the House spokesman, Mr. Akin Rotimi.

The timetable had led to debate over portions that reportedly clash with the Ramadan period, expected to fall between February 7 and 8, 2027.

Following INEC’s release, several Nigerians, including senators, raised concerns about the potential conflict with Ramadan.

Tuesday’s session may consider adjustments to the electoral timetable to ensure that the fasting period does not interfere with scheduled activities.

Continue Reading

Politics

FCT Poll: I’ll back only candidates who support Tinubu, says Wike

Published

on

Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, says he will support only candidates who support President Bola Tinubu’s vision, irrespective of political party, in the FCT area councils’ election scheduled for February 21.

Wike made the statement in Abuja on Saturday night during Senator Sandy Onor’s 60th birthday, a celebration of six decades of scholarship, leadership, service, and meaningful impact.

The Minister, who said he owed no one an apology for supporting Tinubu, promised to back any candidate aligned with the President.

“We have the FCT Area Council election coming up on February 21, and I have a duty to support any candidate that supports President Tinubu to win.

“It is also my duty to ensure that any candidate who is not supporting Tinubu does not win in the election, and I owe no apology on my stand,”* Wike said.

Speaking about the celebrant, Wike described Onor as a “credible ally, a trustworthy friend, and good brother.”

According to him, Onor is not only a friend but a reliable one, even in times of trouble: “I will continue to be with you and work with you, because I know even if I am not alive today, you will not abandon my family.”

Reading the citation for the celebrant, Prof. Anthony Eyang said Onor, born on Feb. 14, 1966, in Ikom, Cross River, was raised in an environment rooted in community values, discipline, and faith.

Eyang noted that Onor’s journey, from the lecture halls of the University of Calabar to the Nigerian Senate and onward to Cross River politics, “reflects a life devoted to learning, leadership, and the advancement of society.”

Earlier, Chairman of the planning committee, Senator Philip Aduda, said the event was a thanksgiving for God’s faithfulness in Onor’s life, both as an academic and a politician.

Former Governor of Benue, Mr Samuel Otom, who stood in for the Chairman of the Occasion, Dr Okezie Ikpeazu, former Governor of Abia State and Ambassador-designate, described Onor as an “icon,” a great Nigerian, and a man prepared and fit for leadership. He also called Onor a “good man.”

Former Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Chief Kalu Agabi (SAN), described the celebrant as courageous and intelligent. “I love Sen. Sandy Onor because he is not one of those who stigmatise the constitution as a product of the military,” he said.

Head of Department of History and International Studies, University of Calabar, Prof. Dave Imbua, presented a Festschrift—a book written by scholars in honour of the celebrant—stating that Onor has remained a notable historian among academics.

The book was unveiled by Ikpeazu on behalf of Wike and his friends, with a reported N50 million contribution.

In his remarks, Onor said he had realised in his 60th year that it is good to be a man of excellence and character, adding that hard work always pays.

He noted, however, that “everything becomes insignificant if the finger of God is absent in one’s life.”

Onor thanked his family, friends, and well-wishers for their support and expressed that their encouragement would not be taken for granted.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2026 Naijacoaded | All Right Reserved | Powered by Naijacoaded.com |